A restoration of a Cowichan Valley treasure, where services have been held continuously since 1934.
Private donations and a grant from the Heritage Legacy Fund make it possible to restore this Cowichan Valley treasure where services have been held continuously since 1934.
Built for the school in 1932-34, this log built chapel is a rare survival of early 20th century vernacular ecclesiastical architecture. The chapel is made entirely from local wood species, and includes a great variety of native softwoods and hardwoods.
M&L staff used resistography to assess the structure, and determined that there were a number of significant failures that should be addressed in addition to the visible deterioration along the lower log rounds/courses. Deformation in the log walls was also threatening the historic stained glass windows; these were reinforced and protected so that they could remain in place even as the building was lifted to facilitate repairs. Similarly, the delicate alter and organ were both protected so that they could remain in-situ throughout the structural work. In addition to making structural repairs to the walls and roof, M&L also reproduced the profiles of the original cedar wainscoting so that it could be restored.